Ramble Around Ireland #11:
Grianan of Aileach

Entrance from Interior of Fort
From our base in Derry, we took a loop north to the ancient stone fort, the Grianan of Aileach, which I have no idea how to pronounce. It is just about 30 minutes from town. One my of go-to travel tips is to snap a picture of the information boards at historical sights. It is a great way keep information and I usually trust this information more than what I find online, as it's been researched, written, and approved by some historical board or council that cares for the sight. The Grianan of Aileach is an incredible site, with strategic & stunning views. I'll let my photos and the info boards do most of the talking for it.

(It is worth checking out Guarding Grianan Aileach , which is a very cool site tracking the solar & lunar alignment of the fort with such fabulous photos!)







A Holy Well just below the fort



Comments